Date:      Sun, 21 Nov 1999 13:00:20 -0500
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
To:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fsck follies

On Sun, Nov 21, 1999 at 10:36:32PM +1000, Stephen McKay wrote:
> When the system came back up, fsck -p didn't like the vinum volume.
> No sweat, I ran it manually.  There were many
>
>     INCORRECT BLOCK COUNT I=<n> (4 should be 0)
>
> messages.  I assumed this was an artifact of soft updates.  The fsck
> completed successfully.
>
> Being paranoid, I reran fsck.  This time it reported a number of
> unreferenced inodes (199 to be exact), and linked them in to lost+found.
>
> It is this last item that bothers me.  When the first fsck completed,
> the filesystem should have been structurally correct.  But it wasn't.
> A third fsck confirmed that 2 runs of fsck were enough.

Presumably you are using vinum for mirroring?  I have had to stop
doing so after trashing several filesystems.  There are some serious
bugs that allow the plexes to get out of sync; as reads from a mirror
set are round-robin, this can be very bad.
--
Christopher Masto         Senior Network Monkey      NetMonger Communications
chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net        http://www.netmonger.net

Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/