Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 1997 13:21:34 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hmmm@alaska.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ints (fwd)

Luigi Rizzo stands accused of saying:

> > Work it out; 5V / 24mA (LSTTL sink limit) = ~200R.  Assuming 50pf of
> > parasitic capacitance (not unreasonable), you get RC = 10usec.  Not so
> > good.  (220R is actually the accepted value for LSTTL and compatible
> > families, witness the 220/330R resistor pairing in passive SCSI
> > terminators.)
>
> of course all this reasoning breaks since 50pf = 50e-12 F so RC is
> 10 nanoseconds... :)

Ah whoops, forgot some zeroes there.  Still, 50pf is a bit on the light
side, and consult Solari for some amusing stories about the negative-time
requirements on ISA-bus signals 8)

Just checking with Solari, actually; the spec is 15pf/slot, and 24mA sink.
OC lines on the bus are tied with 300R, not 220.  So on a modern 4-slot
mixed ISA/PCI bus backplane that's 300*60p = 18ns.

IEEE P996 specifies 11ns bus settling time for a fully-loaded 8-slot
backplane, so that loses again.  But Solari observes :

"[EISA uses open-collector interrupt inputs] The open collector
approach for a level triggered INTERRUPT signal line relies on a
pull-up resistor to deactivate the interrupt request.  The EISA bus
specification has the largest resistor value; consequently, 500
nanonseconds are required for deactivation on the E-ISA platform."
(1ed, p5-76)

> > scheme.  But not ISA.  YOU CANNOT SHARE INTERRUPTS SAFELY ON ISA.
>
> true, but that's because of edge triggered lines as you say later.
> Were they level sensitive, there would be no problem in sharing
> them.

Err yes.  But like we said, they ain't.  8)