Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 12:59:15 +0100
From:      Ceri <ceri@techsupport.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   login.access(5)

I've got a query regarding /etc/login.access.

Here's my copy of the file :

	setantae@shaft setantae$ cat /etc/login.access
	-:ALL EXCEPT wheel:console
	## This doesn't let users in for some reason
	-:ALL EXCEPT wheel users:ALL

Why doesn't the last line let people in the users group log in ?
They all receive the ``Sorry, you are not allowed to connect'' message.
Everyone is logging in via ssh(1).

The relevant part of the manpage is :

	Only groups are matched in which users are explicitly listed: the
	program does not look at a user's primary group id value.

So I know I'm seeing expected behaviour, but this is a really horrible
restriction - is there any reason for this ?

Any insight would be appreciated, and if anyone fancies patching login(1)
that would be cool too ;)

Ceri

--
I probably wouldn't like you. Really.