Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 11:56:37 +0200 (CEST)
From:      talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr (Michel TALON)
To:        matt@zigg.com (Matt Behrens)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Make World Time

> On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
> : make installworld takes about 2 minutes.
>
> On a good, fast system, of course -- which I assume the original
> poster would have if he has customers using the system.  On my poor
> ol' 5x86 with VLB IDE it takes 20 mins (-:

Just to provide another comparison point, on a Pentium II 300
with just one SCSI disk (slow, Quantum Fireball) and using
softupdates make buidworld gives

real    82m33.021s
user    55m30.528s
sys     10m48.433s

(i have also checked make -j 4 which took 80 mn. In both cases
the machine was into multiuser state, but not swapping since
i have 256 Megs)

to this one must add make installworld ( 8 mn) and redo the kernel
plus some time to merge /etc. Everything worked perfectly OK,
in particular mergemaster helped much in the last phase, which took
me around 1/2 hour. Congratulations to the FreeBSD team!

--

Michel TALON