Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 12:10:13 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        Assad Khan <assad.khan@usa.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-VS-Linux---Some Venting from Linux's side!

On Thursday, 25 January 2001 at 15:57:54 -0500, Kenneth Wayne Culver wrote:
>>     I have been seeing a FreeBSD-VS-Linux war on this mailing list and
>> it has disturbed me beyond tolerance. Which drove me to write this
>> e-mail.
>>
>>  First I want to tell everyone that I love everything thats opensource
>> and free, that includes FreeBSD,Linux,OpenBSD and NetBSD. But my most
>> loved OS is Linux for the following reasons.
>
>>   For its age Linux has gone farther than any other OS has, including
>> *BSD's. The BSD's have a history of 20+ years and you are trying to
>> prove that its superior as compared to Linux? Give me a break! If they
>> werent superior even now, then they did not deserve to be used at all.
>> Plus Linux was written from scratch, even though it was derived from
>> Minix it did not contain any foreign source code. While the BSD's
>> contained actual AT&T code for quite some time and then they built
>> upon that when they 'migrated' to 4.4BSD. Linux has a more open model
>> of developement as compared to any of the BSD's. With the release of
>> kernel 2.4.0 for Linux, its now an official gladiator in the arena of
>> Enterprise computing (although it is already running one of the most
>> heavily visited sites namely google.com,freshmeat.net...). Microsoft
>> hates Linux's guts while it seems to embrace the BSD's, for this
>> reason alone is Linux worth using!
>
> Where do you think the 2.4 kernel got it's networking and vm
> code? FreeBSD!

No, that's not correct.  The VM system has borrowed a lot from
FreeBSD, but the networking code is still very different, though it's
true that they're borrowing individual features.

> OF course most linux zealots like yourself would not stop to realize
> this. Linux's model of development is FAR from being more open than
> FreeBSD's and it could be argued that FreeBSD's model is FAR more
> open.

These are all matters of opinion, of course.  FreeBSD-questions isn't
really the place to discuss opinions, especially when the danger
exists that they could escalate into a flame war.

> The ONLY reason that linux 2.4 is going to be any better is because
> linus took most of the Tcp/ip stack and most of the vm code from
> FreeBSD. Get your facts straight before you send flamebait to lists.

Indeed :-)

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.