Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2001 22:56:45 -0800
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        Emiel Kollof <coolvibe@hackerheaven.org>
Cc:        Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>, current@freebsd.org, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCCARD/NEWCARD won't configure on 5.0

--==_Exmh_1563226331P

> * Andy Sparrow (spadger@best.com) wrote:
> > As -STABLE won't configure the sound device in my HP Omnibook 6100, I gave
> > 5.0-CURRENT a whirl.
>
> CURRENT and STABLE both have support for the ESS1988
> (Allegro-1/Maestro3). It's a mere kldload snd_maestro3 away.

Yes. I've been using snd_maestro3 since January, before it was in either :)

Modulo not surviving a suspend/resume and certain mixer apps holding the
device open (so you can't unload/reload it on resume), it works fine on my
Omnibook 6000, which has the Maestro3.

> My -current running laptop also has a ESS1988 soundcard, and my sound
> works just fine under CURRENT and STABLE. No problems with pcmcia
> either. I am _not_ running NEWCARD. Never had, never needed to. I
> suggest the same for the Omnibook as well.

-STABLE doesn't allocate resources for the sound chip on the 6100, the
registers/ports don't apparently get set up by the BIOS, and the
probe_and_attach routine returns 6 (fails on SYS_RES_IOPORT).

Feedback at the time indicated that I was SOL, as the BIOS doesn't contain an
option to set PNPOS=NO (as so many don't, these days). HP's attitude is
"reload a supported OS from the recovery CD". Sweet...

Search for a Subject="ESS Allegro-1 not working in 4.4-STABLE?" in mobile, if
you're interested.

> Attached is my dmesg, just FYI.
>
> Did you try totally powering off the Omnibook and turning it back on?
> Sometimes on some laptops, just rebooting leaves the pcmcia in some
> undefined state.

Well, it suspends/resumes just fine in -STABLE (once you hack the Intel ICH3
ATA controller id, otherwise it dies horribly). I did power it off and on at
least a few times (like, to sleep etc.), and it made no discernable difference.

Thanks,

AS

--==_Exmh_1563226331P

--==_Exmh_1563226331P--