Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 15:57:19 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "Victor Y. Kovalenko" <vikov@cnt.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Out of file descriptors on bootstrap

On Mon, 18 Oct 1999 17:06:37 +0400, "Victor Y. Kovalenko" wrote:

> I have fresh installed FreeBSD 3.2 on x86.
> The bootstrap looks as usual: kernel initializes devices, has found both
> SCSI disks and then (it's time to mount partitions, as I guess), I see
> message
> .:Out of file descriptors

Looks like you've copied /etc/defaults/rc.conf into /etc . You're not
supposed to do that, although you'd have to think about it to realize
that -- there's no documentation explicitly warning you against making
this mistake.

> Rebuilding kernel with option maxusers up has same effect. It's not
> clear to me - on that stage FDs needed for what ?
> How I should solve that problem ?

You need to boot into single-user mode and undo what you did. Hopefully
you kept a backup of the /etc/rc.conf that you overwrote. :-)

To boot into single-user mode:

        3.1-RELEASE and earlier:
                At the boot prompt, type ``-s'' and press enter.

        3.2-RELEASE or later:
                At the boot prompt, type ``boot -s'' and press enter.

To mount your filesystems:

        mount -a

Now just restore the backup copy of /etc/rc.conf, which you overwrote.
If you don't have a backup copy, you have a choice. Either wipe
/etc/rc.conf out and create a new one from scratch, or delete from it
the lines below the comment "Allow local configuration override at the
very end here".

The first option is "better" in terms of eliminating the need to
hand-edit /etc/rc.conf every time default configuration options in the
master /etc/defaults/rc.conf are changed. The second option is obviously
"better" in terms of time required. :-)

Good luck,
Sheldon.