Date:      Wed, 06 Nov 2002 22:20:03 GMT
From:      Matthew Whelan <muttley@gotadsl.co.uk>
To:        RJ45 <rj45@slacknet.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem with ppp from 4.7-STABLE

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002 14:51:38 -0700 (MST) RJ45 <rj45@slacknet.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a problem with ppp, at least 2 other person reported this same
> problem in freebsd-questions.
>
> ppp hangs after a few days of running.
> I use it to establish a PPPoE connection for my ADSL line.
> After 3 or 4 days ppp get freezed.
> ppp continue running and ifconfig reports:
> tun0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1492
>         inet 80.116.24.247 --> 192.168.100.1 netmask 0xffffffff
>         Opened by PID 69
>
> but if I ping  192.168.100.1 it does not respond.
> I must kill and restart ppp with papchap authentication and then it comes
> back working again. MY ISP says his hardware is functioning well and there
> are no problems on the ADSL line.

"Me too", kinda. I'm using PPPoA, but always assumed the fault was
elsewhere. A quick 'killall -INT ppp' does the trick for me (I use ddial
mode, but ppp doesn't detect the death of the connection).

> THis problem is really annoying because from time to time I found myself
> disconnected without being able to track the problem.
> THere is only this strange line in ppp.log
>
> Nov  6 15:45:37 durlindana ppp[24369]: Phase: deflink: Enter pause (3) for
> redialing.

This isn't strange at all, when ppp redials (either because it detects
loss of connection or because you force to by sending a SIGINT), it
pauses waits a short while between hanging up the old connection and
starting reconnecting. This is so ddial mode doesn't spin as badly if it
never manages to connect. That line is merely informing you that it's
waiting 3 seconds before the next connection attempt. I imagine it's
very closely followed by a couple of lines like:

Nov  5 00:51:45 ericnernie ppp[73]: tun0: Chat: deflink: Reconnect try 1 of 0
Nov  5 00:51:55 ericnernie ppp[73]: tun0: Chat: deflink: Redial timer expired.

> I can't really understand what's happening.
> anyone has some hints?
> thanks

Sadly I have no idea what's going on... like I said, I had assumed the
problem was elsewhere, and not really worried about it. In my case at
least, it's very unpredictable exactly when it'll go - sometimes I need
to redial 2-3 times in the space of a few minutes, then sometimes it'll
stay connected for a month after that.

--
Matthew Whelan <muttley@gotadsl.co.uk>