Date:      Tue, 09 Jan 2001 21:32:33 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel PRO/100+ driver or hardware? (Update)

"Jeroen C. van Gelderen" writes:
> I tried 2 hubs, one claims to be a cheap 8816TPC, the other NetGear DS108.
> Both give problems. Replacing the Intel card with a 3Com or SMC solves the
> problem. Of course I've tried multiple cables as well.
>
> Maybe this is relevant. The DS108 actually is a dual speed hub. IIRC it has
> a 10 Mbit bus and a 100 Mbit bus, connected with a little switch. The
> machine I'm testing against has a 10Mbit card. I tried forcing to Intel to
> 10Mbit and tried to transfer the file. It stalls after a couple of
> megabytes.

In the same place every time, I hope?

>            I then forced the Intel card to 100Mbit mode and tried the
> transfer again (so it would have to go trough the switching device in the
> hub); That got me a little further (22 MB) but this transfer too stalled
> eventually.

Same question, "Fails in the same place each time you try?"

> > Any chance you can capture and/or share the problem data?
>
> More than willing to, but I'm not sure how to do it most effectively. You
> just want the tcpdump data? Do I need to give any special arguments to
> tcpdump?

If its file transfer the easiest thing to do would be to transfer the
exact same file. But 22 MB into it, sounds like a system backup.
Ideally if you had a small file which failed with ftp, it would be
easy for others to attempt to duplicate your failure.

Am far from a tcpdump guru but it would be rough dumping headers and
packets until problems start 22MB of data later. Especially if done on
the same machine as the problem is happening because the tcpdump
processing may be all it takes to clear up the problem. Or make it
worse. Ideally one would only want to dump packets which fail checksum.
So maybe wait to start tcpdump until the transfer stops.

It may be time to "cut bait" and simply accept the Intel cards didn't
work in your situation and go on with things. Know I'm using an Intel
card right now (with an AMD CPU :-)  ) but forgot to look and see what
chip was on it. My other 3 Intel cards are 58's, in other machines.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net