Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 02:31:13 +0000
From:      "Brian K . Walters" <bkwalters@lucent.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: w3m make craps out  was Re: Lynx forbidden

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 11:31:11AM +0530, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

> > > Funny, it works fine for me...
> > > I don't see anything unusual in tagtable.c at those lines either.
> > > Is your source file somehow corrupted?
> >
> > I had the same problems with w3m, eventually giving it up and just
> > installing w3 for emacs, since I'm sitting in emacs 90% of the time
> > anyway.  I'm running 3.4-stable, with ports downloaded maybe three
> > weeks ago and the errors he described in his original message are very
> > similar to the errors I had.
> >
> > While I was searching for the error, I found that the source file from
> > which tagtable.c was generated appeared to be corrupted, with
> > gibberish characters in the lines that gave errors during the
> > compile.  If the sources were corrupted, they're corrupted in the
> > distribution downloaded by the ports system.
>
> When I tried it the make command downloaded the source from the Japanese
> site directly. My ports collection was less than a day old -- I cvsup
> it daily. The generated tagtable.c looks fine.  The first 12 lines are
> below, lines 8 and 11 look pretty much the same as the rest.  I can mail
> you the whole thing if you like: please reply directly (off the list) if
> you want it.
>
> #include "hash.h"
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include "html.h"
> static HashItem_si MyHashItem[] = {
>   /* 0 */ {"/form_int",HTML_N_FORM_INT,&MyHashItem[1]},
>   /* 1 */ {"/kbd",HTML_NOP,&MyHashItem[2]},
>   /* 2 */ {"dd",HTML_DD,&MyHashItem[3]},
>   /* 3 */ {"/dir",HTML_N_UL,NULL},
>   /* 4 */ {"/body",HTML_N_BODY,NULL},
>   /* 5 */ {"base",HTML_BASE,NULL},
>   /* 6 */ {"/div",HTML_N_DIV,NULL},
>   /* 7 */ {"tbody",HTML_TBODY,&MyHashItem[8]},
>   /* 8 */ {"meta",HTML_META,&MyHashItem[9]},

Since I originally had that error message I updated the ports via cvsup from
the ports-supfile in /usr/share/examples/cvsup.  I originally had the
default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4 which just seemed to delete everything in
the ports subdirectories so I did it again with the tag=. which the docs
said should just update to the latest files.

I tried to make w3m again and got the same error message as before.  Did I
do the ports update correctly? I'm a FreeBSD newbie so excuse my ignorance
regarding this.

thanks,

Brian,
--