Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 2002 12:34:25 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Roger Harrell <roger@audiblefaith.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to configure multiple IPs on FreeBSD

On Sat, Aug 24, 2002 at 02:46:11PM -0700, Roger Harrell wrote:
> What can I do to get the server to respond to two more IP addresses? Are
> there other files I need to edit as well. Also I did see a post about
> being able to do something like this without rebooting, so if that's
> possible I'd like information on that as well. Always better if it can
> be done without a reboot. I'm pretty new to this level of admin. Thanks.

To add an alias IP numbers to an already runnning system --- assuming
the alias IPs belong to the same network as the principal IP number of
the interface --- run these commands, substituting the correct IP
numbers for your setup:

    ifconfig fxp0 inet 12.34.56.78 netmask 0xffffffff alias
    ifconfig fxp0 inet 12.34.56.79 netmask 0xffffffff alias

To make the same configuration persist through reboots, modify
/etc/rc.conf to add lines:

    ifconfig_fxp0_alias0="inet 12.34.56.78 netmask 0xffffffff"
    ifconfig_fxp0_alias1="inet 12.34.56.79 netmask 0xffffffff"

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
                                                      Marlow