Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 02:26:39 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Alex Holst <a@area51.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache Software Foundation Server compromised, resecured. (fwd)

--jkO+KyKz7TfD21mV

Alex Holst(a@area51.dk)@2001.06.01 01:30:41 +0000:
> That should be verified often with scanssh or something similar. I was
> surprised when I read about the compromise, because it gives the impressi=
on
> that people are still using passwords (as opposed to keys with passphrase=
s)
> for authentication in this day and age. Is that correct? If so, why is th=
at?
there are people on the net that have telnetd listening on their
servers. there are people on the net who run outdated versions of
whatever you want (see netcraft apache versions or the dns server
versions thingamabob that states that there are still ~30% bind 4.x
boxes out there and a shitload of bind<8.2.3).
there are big sites running old wu-ftpd's on badly patched slowlaris
systems. i even heard of people publishing their web documents with iis
on nt or 2000. the security discussion is always split:
1) improvement of current operating systems and daemon software
2) how to prevent people from inviting crackers to their boxes running
   outdated crap

cheers,
/k

--=20
> As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
> advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
> amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.
> --David H. Wolfskill
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- WebMonster Community Founder -- nGENn GmbH Senior Techie
http://www.webmonster.de/ -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ -- http://www.ngenn.n=
et/
karsten&rohrbach.de -- alpha&ngenn.net -- alpha&scene.org -- catch@spam.de
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 B=
F46

--jkO+KyKz7TfD21mV

--jkO+KyKz7TfD21mV--