Date:      Wed, 07 Apr 1999 18:56:37 +0100
From:      Stuart Henderson <stuart@eclipse.net.uk>
To:        Ryan Mooney <ryan@pcslink.com>
Cc:        leifn@neland.dk, danny@hilink.com.au, wcooley@nakedape.navi.net, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Web Based Script

> Yes but "clever hacker"(TM) can run multiple requests
> in parrallel for either one which basically renders the
> whole delay thing of questionable value.

ahhh - if you are running from inetd then POP is better in that respect
as you can limit the number of connections per IP address, so that's
something I hadn't thought of :)  (for anyone too tired to read man
pages, add /0/foo after nowait where foo is the limit per IP per
minute).

in *that* case, then that is something httpd coders might want to think
about (only on unauthenticated or bad attempts to login to a
password-protected server). still not ideal, because "clever hacker"
could be changing the source to any of <insert number of hardware
virtual servers on some machine "clever hacker" has owned> IP addresses,
but it does make it a bit more tricky for them.

as you say, if Joe Luser knew what an ssl client cert was ... :)