Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 15:45:41 EDT
From:      Gaylefitz@aol.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   freebsd 2.2.2

I have a small internet server running on freebsd 2.2.2
on 1998 08 09 at about 1730, a message was displayed that said "shutting down
at 1800 hrs" according to a person logged into the server. i was not here, and
did not see the exact wording or if it even presented a reason for shutting
down. today, when i came in to work with the server, i found that it would not
boot, saying that it could not find the /bin/sh file. it said "File or
directory doesn't exist" and then asked me for an alternate pathname for the
shell specified in /etc/rc
I tried several different shells (bash, csh, sh, etc...) and none of them
worked.
i got onto #FreeBSD on EFNET running through my secondary DNS and an
individual there said to download the boot and fixit disk images for FreeBSD
2.2.7
i did so, and the boot disk will not boot, halting at "ep0 not found at 0x300"

just before the warning about /bin/sh, there is a line saying
WARNING: / Not properly dismounted.

i would just as soon not have to reformat all of my drives and send them off
to data recovery labs...is there anything you can suggest?

thanks-
mark, s.admin, cyberhall