Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 16:31:49 +0800
From:      "Shaun De Burgh" <sdeburgh@rescuegroup.com>
To:        <roth@iamexwi.unibe.ch>, <stefan.probst@opticom.v-nam.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Spoofing file information?

if the intruder gained root access to your system, couldnt he remount the =
file system's in rw mode, and modify the binary, or does freebsd prevent =
that from occuring.

>>> Tobias Roth <roth@iamexwi.unibe.ch> 11/15/01 04:24pm >>>
you run a generic kernel, not a customized one? ;)

no, seriously, you generally check if two files are the same by using an =
md5 hash or the cksum command. An intruder doesn't 'spoof' file sizes, he =
replaces binaries such as ls and netstat so they hide his system modificati=
ons.
As for file modification dates, man touch.

So, if you use md5 to compare files, there are those two critera for being =
sure the your files haven't been tampered with:

1. the md5 binary is has not been modified
2. the checksums you made and to which you are comparing haven't been =
modified

you can achieve this for instance by having both the binary and the =
checksums on a read only medium.

cheers, Tobe