Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 00:01:25 -0600 (CST)
From:      Brennan Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   a temporary mail alias

I am avoiding creating a majordomo system and would like to know if there
is a way to create a temporary mail alias.  I have aliases in
/etc/mail/aliases but in order to create more aliases the only way I know
to do it is edit that file to add a new alias with a list of addresses and
then run newaliases.

I am wondering if there is another way to do it.  Any sendmail buffs out
there?  I have used bulk_mailer in the past to send mailings out to
friends for summer parties and such, but what I want to do is build a nice
web interface which can leverage sendmail as a delivery agent.  Since the
web server will never run as root it will not have access to edit the
alias file.  This web interface would allow users to add and remove
themselves for the list easily.

Previously I have sent an email to each user one by one, and that is
inefficient.  It is also prone to problems and it also takes longer than
it should.

I need to come up with a better solution.

Any help is appreciated.

Brennan Stehling - software developer and system administrator
  my projects:
       home.offwhite.net (free personal hosting)
       www.greasydaemon.com (bsd search)