Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2002 06:21:45 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: leafnode question

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 03:32:47AM +0200, Bernie wrote:

> hello,
>
> i've just configured pine to work with getmail + leafnode
> for reading email and news. it seems to be going ok, but
> it seems i have a problem with leafnode.
>
> first, about my setup, it's workstation with dialup to isp.
> no local network exists. only dialup. so i've been trying
> to avoid running things like sendmail and nntp etc.
>
> it seems that leafnode doesn't run automaticaly on my configuration.
> i'm not sure if i'm right, but from what i gathered, leafnode is
> supposed to connect (run fetchnews) automaticaly when a client wants
> to read news.

Nope.

> so far, i got it to work, so i can read news from local directory
> using pine, but if i want to see if there are new posts for a group
> i got to run fetchmain manualy.

Yup.

> also, if i try to read the body of a message, i get a message saying:
> leafnode... message ... has been marked for retrival. if i want to see
> this nessage i have to run fetchmail manualy. is this the way it's
> supposed to be working? i thought that when i select a group from
> pine, leafnode would connect and get all new headers, and if i choose
> a header, it would connect and retrieve the body...

Nope.

Leafnode is meant for you to create a little local news-server.
When configured and you run "fetchnews" for the first time it will
download all the info on the news-groups your up-stream news feed
supports.
Generally when users subscribe to a newsgroup the headers for that
group will be downloaded at the next fetchnews run.

Your users should indicate that their news-server is now ..wherever
it is on your network. When they run up their news program and
mark a message for reading it does what you say, it marks it for
retrieval. Subsequent runs of fetchnews will get the messages so
marked. (I don't think you would want it to fire off a new connection
every time you mark a message for reading!). Normally you would run
fetchnews from a cron job, or by hand if you like, once/twice a day
or whatever.

You can however configure it differently, and for a dial-up much more
expensively, so that when any newsgroup is subscribed to not only
the headers but the body of the message is also downloaded for the
all messages in the group (up to a configurable maximum). This is fine
if you are not paying telephone/connection time charges, but otherwise
can be very expensive. I do it this way, but I have a fixed price
24/7 ADSL link so it has no cost implications for me. When I was using
a dial-up ISDN line I was much more circumspect !

--
Regards
Cliff