Date:      Sat, 3 Mar 2001 14:04:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matt of the Long Red Hair <mattp@conundrum.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   doscmd booting floppy on 4.1.1-STABLE

I haven't heard back from anyone, so I'm guessing this is something new..
nobody's seen it before?

On the off chance that it'd been fixed recently, I cvsup'd a new 4.1.1-S and
built a new world, but no change on DOS 5.0 and DOS 6.22

I also tried booting the current FreeDOS (beta5) but that also failed, except
with a totally different error:

% doscmd -b
Signal 4 from DOS program

ax=1fff bx=2601 cx=0a78 dx=07b8
si=5000 di=6be8 sp=13e6 bp=0000
cs=045e ss=0000 ds=43eb es=468a
ip=c56c eflags=b0206
63 61 6e 6e 6f 74 20 61 6c 6c 6f 63 61 74 65 20
arpl   %sp,0x6e(%bx+%di)
045e:c56c Illegal instruction

Is anyone successfully booting any DOS with doscmd right now?  I'm not really
picky about the version of DOS I use.. I'd just like to get something going.
I haven't even been able to get doscmd to run in standalone mode.. it always
seems to want to boot a disk.

I think next I'll try building a bootable DOS filesystem on a hard drive, and
attempt to boot that.  Maybe this problem is with the floppies only?

I briefly looked at using dosemu instead, but I suppose the lack of a port
should have tipped me off to  how difficult that was going to be.  It relies
on as86/ld86 -- I'm guessing those are 16-bit linker/assembler -- which
FreeBSD doesn't have.  I notice most other *nixes do have these, even OpenBSD.
How does FreeBSD deal with compiling 16-bit apps?  I don't see any obvious
substitute in the gcc install.

Anyway, I'd be quite happy to hear anyone's thoughts on any of this.

Cheers,
   Matt

``Chaos often breeds life, when order breeds habit.''
	--  Henry Brooks Adams