Date:      27 May 2001 23:17:29 EST
From:      "Mark Sergeant" <msergeant@snsonline.net>
To:        "John" <j.telford@sympatico.ca>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Routing ? How to automatically  fall back to a back up route.

I have 2 routes on my machines, I also have ip addresses on these machines in
the same subnet as the routes themselves. I do a test via a trace & ping to an
ip address that should always be up (the router itself), If I get 2 failures
inside 2 minutes I then do a route -n flush ; route add default other ip. I do
this route changed based on whatever the current default route it.

Cheers,

Mark