Date:      Sun, 02 Jun 1996 15:56:45 -0700
From:      Jill <mike&jill@earthlink.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        mike&jill@earthlink.net
Subject:   Problem installing FreeBSD

Dear Support,

     I am trying to install FreeBSD 2.1.0 from the ftp.freebsd.org site and am having
a problem that I have not found documented in any of the FAQs, installation, or read me
documents.  After configuring the kernel (with all the correct IRQs and addresses)
and going thru the novice installation process, the setup will do some initial copying
from the boot image and then stop with a "Failed to create root distribution" message.
This occurs when trying to install from a DOS drive or from floppy drive (after asking
for the root floppy image).  I have followed all "Preparing for installation from xxx"
instructions.
     Unfortunately, I think I already know what the problem is.  I am using an EIDE
controller card and an EIDE Western Digital 1.6G hard drive and the hardware text files
do not state compatabiltiy with these components.  It does not mention Enhanced IDE
drives at all.
     So I guess my real question is "Does FreeBSD support Enhanced IDE drives?"
If not, then I will already know what I have to do :(  If so, then how do I proceed
from here?
     Any support will be greatly appreciated 'cause I am very excited about
getting  FreeBSD up and running.  Thanx :)
Damn the nay-sayers.
Michael Kennedy <mike&jill@earthlink.net>