Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2001 23:03:45 -0400
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Gideon <h20soul@mweb.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FBSD box between cisco and clients

I have this exact topology at one of my sites.  The Cisco router is a 1720
with a frame-relay connection.  I am not doing bandwidth limiting on the
FreeBSD box, however.  I leave the FRTS up to the Cisco.  None-the-less,
you would need to do subnetting to get this to work right.  If you don't
have enough addresses to build CIDR blocks, then you might want to consider
NAT for the clients.  That's the way I do things.  The clients are
192.168.100.0/24, and the FreeBSD box has a public address to the 1720
(which has the same class C but subnetted on both Fa0 and S0.1).

For rate limiting, you might want to consider DUMMYNET(4).  I haven't used
it personally, but I saw Luigi demo it at FreeBSDCon '99, and it was pretty
impressive.  If you have more specific questions on the topology setup, let
me know.

Joe Clarke