Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 1998 07:43:50 +0100 (BST)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: My verdict on 2.2.7...

On 23-Jul-98 Tim Gerchmez wrote:
> Well, finally got done installing 2.2.7, and unfortunately, *MY* verdict is
> in (although admittedly I'm not "the judge"): Don't bother.
>
> (1) The new sysinstall is so buggy, you'd better keep a can of RAID by your
> computer when using it (I'll explain as I go along here)...

So you don't keep backups of your data when doing inconsequential things like
changing the OS on your machine?

> (2) The new update of X-windows is either really buggy, or it was the
> sysinstall utility that screwed it up (or a combination of both).  Parts of
> the PC98 server libraries got mixed in with the regular Xfree86 libraries.
> Not all the new X binaries work properly, either.

Which binaries? What problems are you seeing? Are they FreeBSD related or
XFree86 related?

> (3) Package dependencies are all screwed up (half of what I tried said
> "Can't find libxx.xx.x), even after installing the dependencies given by
> pkg_add -v.  Also, **some packages that exist on the site aren't listed in
> the sysinstall package installer** (yes, I DID download the new INDEX
> file), including my favorite Email reader, xfmail (I had to install it
> manually via pkg_add, and grab an older version of XForms from the 2.2.6
> installation).

Maybe you are confusing packages and ports? The packages are a subset of
the ports because some ports cannot be packaged due to license restrictions,
for example, until Netscape changed how Communicator was licenesed you
had to download it from their sites.

> (4) Certain problems exist with PPP.  For one, I noticed that it was slower
> than a snail at certain times.  Also, when called by sysinstall in getting
> the network up, an error message appeared saying something like "Warning:
> Config: dns: no such key word.  Warning: enable: Failed 1."  I'll leave
> someone else to figure this out.
> (5) When installing X, if you only select certain parts of it, it doesn't
> get installed at all.  The only way to install it in sysinstall is to
> select ALL of it, then go back and deselect what you DON'T want.  This is
> an obvious bug.  Even after doing this, the wrong files were installed (I
> got a mix of PC98 and regular server stuff that just didn't work together
> correctly.  I had to extensively edit XF86Config by hand.

I always do anyway.

> I had no problems like these whatsoever when installing 2.2.6.  In my
> opinion, 2.2.7 is not production quality, and I think this verdict will be
> slowly arriving from more people than just me (they may even yank this
> version - the sysinstall is just impossibly buggy).  They've basically
> crossed v2.2.6 with v3.0 here, and the two just don't seem to mix properly
>:-(.  I'm going back to 2.2.6 until 3.0 is out (OF COURSE I deleted all of
> 2.2.6, so it's time to start downloading

Unlikely that any of 3.0 has slipped into stable.

> Anyone with similar experiences to mine with v2.2.7 is invited to Email me
> at fewtch@serv.net.

Duncan

---