Date:      Wed, 10 May 1995 16:31:38 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A question of downloading device drivers

>> >How about replacing it with the argument that the code can't be upgraded
>> >without rebuilding the kernel?
>>
>> Neither can any other SCSI driver in the kernel.
>
>But mom, Billy did it, why can't I?  8-)  8-).
>
>That's an argument *against* the other code, not *for* the microcode.  8-P.

No.  I guess I should have been  more clear.  My point is that until we
have a generic VM86 bios boot that will allow modloading disk drivers,
this is a moot point.  Just because there may be some rare times where the
microcode changes and the kernel driver does not (very rare if you look
at the commit logs) doesn't really make the aic7xxx driver a special case.
The goal should be the ability to replace any driver simply by changing
a kernel loadable module, not just some special case of being able to
replace the microcode for one specific SCSI driver.  Since I've already shown
all the reasons why it can't be done in the case of the aic7xxx microcode
without VM86 support, can we drop this and talk about somthing that will more
productive?

>Note that I am *not* condemning the Adaptec code; by definition, anything
>that works is better than anything that doesn't (that was the point I
>attempted to make comparing licensing and the ability to boot at all).

I didn't think that you were condeming the Adaptec code.  I just found that
many of your comments were misleading or came about from you being
unaware of the aic7xxx internals.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1