Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 12:33:16 +0200
From:      Jim Xochellis <dxoch@escape.gr>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with in the ipf setup in an FreeBSD 4.7 router

Hi Giorgos,

First of all I have to admit that basically you are right. I *must*
avoid changing the xxx_program settings and it does not seem reasonable
(in FreeBSD 4.7) to include the flags into the xxx_program settings.
Flags should be into the xxx_flags settings.

But my old router was an FreeBSD 4.2 - RELEASE box and I just wanted to
change it to FreeBSD 4.7 - RELEASE for security reasons. I was under the
impression that my old rc.conf file should work ok with the new system
and I tried to reuse it (Big Mistake!).

Unfortunately the rc.network file of the FreeBSD 4.7 - RELEASE is
working differently now, and the ipfilter_program setting is not being
used the same way like it was back in FreeBSD 4.2 - RELEASE:

rc.network of FreeBSD 4.2 - RELEASE:
${ipfilter_program:-ipf -Fa -f} "${ipfilter_rules}" ${ipfilter_flags}

rc.network of FreeBSD 4.7 - RELEASE:
${ipfilter_program:-/sbin/ipf} -Fa -f "${ipfilter_rules}" ${ipfilter_flags}

In other words [ipfilter_program="/sbin/ipf -Fa -f"] was the correct
setting for the FreeBSD 4.2 - RELEASE but it is incorrect for the
FreeBSD 4.7 - RELEASE. My *big* mistake was that that changing the
ipfilter_program setting was not really necessary for me. I should left
it to its default value! Well I am wiser now thanks to this list, thank
you very much!

Regards,

Jim Xochellis
Escape Information Services