Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 13:05:24 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Tim Pushor <timp@orion.ab.ca>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'Out of buffer space' problem

Tim Pushor wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I work for a rather large organization and have convinced management to
> replace our aging AIX SMTP relays/DNS servers with Compaq Servers running
> FreeBSD. Saturday I had officially turned off our old AIX boxes and were
> running on pure FreeBSD boxes.
>
> On the first full day of production, half way through (today) one of the
> boxes that the companies primary DNS was running on stopped responding. The
> error I was getting was 'out of buffer space'.
>
> I am now in Panic mode, as I am the one responsible for reccomending this
> solution.
>
> Can anyone out there help me track the problem down? I know there can be
> several factors involved, but I *really* have to get this one licked rather
> quickly.

Sure, but you'll need to provide some useful information about your systems.
What version of FreeBSD and BIND are you running?  What is the configuration
of your machine -- CPU(s), memory, and network cards certainly.  Have you
compiled a custom kernel for the machine; if so include the kernel config
file you're using.  If not, the problem is simple to diagnose: you need
more network buffer space to handle the load.  The simplest way to do this
is to increase the "maxusers" figure in the configuration until the problem
stops.  If you're running the 3.2-RELEASE generic kernel, raise maxusers to
64 and try again.

Please, post more information so we can help you.  We don't want you to (and
us by reference) to get embarrased on this.  ;^)

http://softweyr.com/                                           wes@softweyr.com