Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 2007 08:09:09 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        vincent delft <vincent_delft@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shutdown problem "Stray IRQ9"

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 07:17:12AM -0800, vincent delft wrote:
> As new to FreeBSD I'm looking for info to solve my
> shutdown problem.
>
> When I shutdown the system (shutdown -h now), the
> messages displayed are:
> "
> No buffers busy after final sync
> Uptime: 1h3m35s
> Shutting down ACPI
> stray irq9
> "
> then hang ;-(.

I've seen this problem on different machines with different
hardware.  I don't think it's a hardware problem, though -- I
think it's more along the lines of either an interrupt routing
problem, or possibly an SMP issue.  This is all pure hearsay on
my part, but it's the only thing that stands out.

I'll add that I have an Asus A8N-E (nForce chipset, AMD CPU)
board that exhibits the above behaviour, but _does not_ print
the stray irq9 bit.  "halt" and "shutdown -h" simply hang
after shutting down ACPI; there is no "Press enter to reboot"
message, and the keyboard handler appears locked up too.

If a developer wants one of these motherboards (no CPU or
RAM or other stuff though :) ), I can ship one out for free.
I have a working spare.

> I've google a bit on "stray irq9" and found several
> mails where people says that this is a known problem,
> or saying that we should don't care about this, ...

I've seen this message mainly on Intel chipset boards.  I
believe IRQ 9 is commonly assigned by the BIOS to ACPI
functionality.  I believe what's happening (again, hearsay)
is that FreeBSD shuts down ACPI capability, and the interrupt
handler reports that nothing is tied to IRQ 9 any more.

In comparison, you can search for "stray irq7" and see that
others have seen this message on certain boards where the
LPT/printer port has been disabled in the BIOS, but lpt
support is enabled in FreeBSD.  (What I'm trying to say is
that the "stray irq" stuff stems from what I described in
the above paragraph.

> PS:
> On the same machine, my gentoo can shutdown correctly.
> Thus I would conclude that this is not HW related.

I agree.

| Making life hard for others since 1977.               PGP: 4BD6C0CB |