Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2000 10:25:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   "very dangerously dedicated mode" is

I was experimenting with disk formats yesterday, and wanted to
see if the BIOS on one of my machines would boot a hard drive
with a boot sector (like on a floppy), but no real MBR (i.e., the "AA55"
magic number is in place at offset 510, but there is no partition
table; more specifically, the "partition table" contains code).
This is what Bruce Evans has called "very dangerously dedicated"
(see http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=102186+104290+/usr/local/www/db/text/1999/freebsd-current/19990808.freebsd-current).

The BIOS on my machine couldn't deal with it, which didn't surprise
me that much.  The surprise came when I booted FreeBSD 3.2 off a
floppy to try to fix my hard disk.  The wd driver tries to read
the garbage partition table, and wedges:

wd0: error reading extended partition table reading fsbn 338137092
wd0s1c: hard error reading fsbn 1 (status 51<rdy,seekdon,err> error 4<abort>)
wd0s2c: timeout waiting to give command reading fsbn 1 (status 0 error <abort>)

with the last line being repeated at about 1-second intervals,
ad infinitum.

Now, this strikes me as a bug:  sure, the partition table contains
garbage, so go ahead and return ENODEV or ENXIO on access to
wd0s1, but the whole system is unbootable, even if the kernel
is on a floppy.

By the way, I also struck out with DOS fdisk:  it took one look
at the garbage partition table, and wedged.  I'll be trying a
Linux rescue disk next.  If that fails, too, then I seem to
have generated a 1-Gigabyte hockey puck (you didn't think I
was trying this with a new disk, did you)?

Anyway, now you know, my friends, how "very dangerously dedicated mode"
got its name :-).

Jim Shankland
NLynx Systems, Inc.