Date:      30 Jan 2001 15:44:02 -0500
From:      Andrew Heybey <ath@niksun.com>
To:        dan@langille.org
Cc:        "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bind8.2.3 and installation problem

> Thanks.  For those that want to know, and I know you're out there:
>
> make PREFIX=/usr PIDDIR=/var/run DESTETC=/etc/namedb
> DESTEXEC=/usr/libexec DESTRUN=/var/run DESTSBIN=/usr/sbin
> DESTHELP=/usr/share/misc install
>
> I didn't use any of the other options...
>
> After the install, the /etc/named.conf symlink was no longer needed.
> ndc reload seems to be fine.  I'll do some more testing later (there's not
> actually any zones loaded on this box).

Thanks to all for the makefile research (and for posting the results).
As a minor tip, I note that if you use the port as opposed to
selectively upgrading via /usr/src then you:

1. Have a record in /var/db/pkg that the fix was applied.

2. Can easily make a binary package that can be simply pkg_add'ed on systems
without source (I have tried it on 3.2 and 4.2).

andrew