Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2000 03:22:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPFW forward problem

Trying to get something working with "ipfw...forward", and starting to
remove hair follicles...

Just built up a -current box so I can play with IPv6, and I'm having a
difficult time getting my 3.4-STABLE machine (the proxy to the rest of the
world) to forward the appropriate packets back to the -current machine...

Basically, 38.153.104.192/29 is my home network, and 24.93.181.58 is the
connection to the Inet.  Between NATD and IPFW, I have "normal" stuff
being proxied through the gateway correctly.

After configuring the IPv6->IPv4 tunnel on the -current machine, I can
"ping6 {whatever}" (through gif0), and the packets are going out to the
tunnel remote end, and the response is coming back into the proxy.
Unfortunately, the proxy never forwards the packets back to the -current
machine.

I have an IPFW rule of the following near the beginning of rc.firewall on
the gateway machine:

$fwcmd add 500 fwd 38.153.104.196 ipv6 from any to any in via ed0

... which, by my thinking, should forward anything coming in from ed0
(cable modem) on IP port 41 (ipv6) to the -current machine
(38.153.104.196).

No-go -- the packets aren't ever hitting the local ethernet that .196 is
connected to.

Ideas?  Am I too brain-fried to make this work right now?  (That's a
STRONG possibility, due to the way this week has gone at work..:) )

Thanks - Mike