Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 1997 11:34:00 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        gibbs@plutotech.com, jdc@denver.net, hardware@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Yet another Adaptec 2940UW problem :(

Brett Glass stands accused of saying:
> At 10:32 AM 4/22/97 -0500, gibbs@plutotech.com wrote:
>
> >You should try installing from releng22.FreeBSD.org as that has the latest
> >version of the aic7xxx driver which should fix most of your problems.
>
> Is this the version of the Adaptec driver included in 2.2.1-R? Or is there
> yet a newer version of the SCSI code with still more fixes?

2.2.1 went out the door in the middle of a bugfix cycle in the 'ahc' driver.
The server at releng22.freebsd.org actually builds 2.2-STABLE snapshots
every day, so it is guaranteed to have the most current working code.

> Finally (I know I'm full of questions this morning), why are there so many
> problems with the Adaptec 29XX series of adapters and motherboard chips on
> all platforms (not just FreeBSD)? With all the bug reports involving this
> chip on Linux, FreeBSD, NT, Windows, etc. I'm getting wary of purchasing
> them, despite their popularity.

I was discussing this with some people last night; we know that Justin
and the other 2940 driver authors aren't stupid, but similar SCSI
drivers (like those for the NCR parts, f.e.) don't go through the same
grief.  We concluded that the Adaptec parts must be more of a bitch
to work with, and/or harder to get accurate data on.  Certainly some of
their newer parts (eg. the aic7860) appear fairly braindead.