Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2000 01:54:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        Helge Oldach <Helge.Oldach@de.origin-it.com>
Cc:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SAMBA and IP filtering

-mrh

On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, Helge Oldach wrote:

> >Is anybody out here who has IP filtering (IPFIREWALL) on and has still
> >full SAMBA access via NT clients?

IPFW/Samba serving Win2k clients...  close enough.

> >I have the following problem: IP filtering is enabled and working well on
> >our FBSD 4.1 box running samba. One of the first rules is to allow all traffic
> >from and to the server via the local network, that means no restrictions.

So...  I guess you have something like:

	check-state
	allow ip from ${inet}:{$imask} to any keep-state

> >many services this runs well - but not for SAMBA!

It's working here...

[30]root@snafu{mike}$ uname -a
FreeBSD snafu.adept.org 4.1-STABLE FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE #0: Fri Aug 18
20:30:33 PDT 2000     mike@snafu.adept.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/SNAFU
i386
[31]root@snafu{mike}$ pkg_info|grep samba
samba-2.0.7         A free SMB and CIFS client and server for UNIX

> >When trying to access a ip-filtering SAMBA server, I see its icon in the
> >network neightborhood environment, but when clicking on its icon, I get the
> >error message "Access denied, network path not found" after a while. Stopping
> >Ip-filtering solves the problem, but that is not the right solution, I think.
> >My question is, how to solve this problem.

Are you running from inetd, or as daemons?  What's your smb.conf file look
like?  Have you tried firing up a sniffer to see exactly what's going on
when you '[click] on its icon'?

-mrh