Date:      Sat, 20 Aug 2005 17:15:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        Christer Solskogen <solskogen@carebears.mine.nu>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: StarBSD OS and Star OS -- Was: BSDLinux OS

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005, Christer Solskogen wrote:

>> You mention "pkgsrc" -- I use pkgsrc to build entire Linux
>> distributions for a couple years.
>
> hmm? Is that possible?

Definitely. I do "use" it.

> That would be a cool project. Did you use tutorial, or something for
> that?

No tutorial. Just a lot of trial and error and lots of work.

I packaged up every component considered to be needed by a normal Linux
install (except for packages already available in pkgsrc). I committed
almost all to pkgsrc-wip (work in progress playground) and some fixes to
regular pkgsrc.

I packaged linux-kernel, glibc, util-linux, linux-nfs-utils, sysvinit,
vixie-cron, iptables, and many, many others.

A tutorial:

- build or download Linux "pkgsrc" packages for glibc, gcc, pkg_install,
bash, pax, db2, util-linux, coreutils, awk, find, etc... (I recently
learned that someone is using NetBSD host to cross compile my Linux
packages for Linux ... an article should be coming soon.)

- no installer, so boot with a Linux live CD.
- fdisk partition
- mkfs partition
- mount partition
- tar extract glibc, pkg_install, pax, coreutils, etc.
- chroot to new environment
- use pkg_add to install other packages as needed
- install lilo or grub and setup boot loader
- install sysvinit package
- set up inittab and startup shell scripts as needed (I use rc.d system
   and have a package with some core configurations that I have used for a
   couple years ... I need to import to pkgsrc-wip.)
- setup /etc/fstab
- reboot

I use LOCALBASE=/usr for my Linux packages which does have a few flaws,
such as you can't deinstall libz and other crucial packages doing work. I
use a chroot jail to build packages and use FORCE_PKG_REGISTER for a few
packages when installing.

I use a custom pkg_add that has an option to overwrite a package instead
of deleting first for upgrading.

http://linux.pugetsoundtechnology.com/faq/

  Jeremy C. Reed

p.s. The download site is changed. I need to commit some fixes for glibc
package.