Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:15:36 -0500
From:      "Jaime Bozza" <jbozza@thinkburst.com>
To:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   vinum/softupdates/fsck strange problem

I searched the archives (as well as google) and can't seem to find
anything about this particular problem.

I'm running vinum in mirroring mode (based off of the Bootstrapping
Vinum document) and last night I had a problem on two systems.

One system was the /usr/home filesystem (never gets written to
currently), the other system was the /var filesystem (rarely gets
written to, web server that has very infrequest email and the assorted
logging, but even then nothing at the time of the failures)

I'm not sure what happened to cause both of these systems to reboot, but
they were sitting at single user with a softupdate inconsistency.  The
message that came up was:

	CG 22: BAD MAGIC NUMBER

I searched the archives and couldn't find anything related.  I looked
through the fsck source and found a couple of locations dealing with
this message, but was unsure as to what would have happened to cause the
problem.   Running fsck manually spewed out a ton of other errors (ran
fsck -n first) so I attempted a forced mount.

Forcing the mount, I checked all the "possibly written" areas (log files
and such) and everything looked fine.  I rebuilt the filesystem and
things are fine now but I'm curious as to why this happened, especially
on filesystems that shouldn't typically have that much (if any) volume.

The only other thing that I noticed on both of these systems was that
vinum was showing the disks as ad0h and ad2h instead of ad0s1h and
ad2s1h.  (The filesystems showed up correctly, though 'vinum ld' showed
100% free on both drives - rebooting fixed it)

Anyone have any ideas?

Jaime Bozza