Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2003 18:46:49 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Marius Strom <marius@marius.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Resolver Issues (non valid hostname characters)

Marius Strom wrote:
> I've submitted a PR for this: misc/50299 documenting the RFC
> mis-following (is that a word?) as well as a patch for res_comp.c.

Great.

If this is committed before RFC-952 is updated, FreeBSD users
can now define host names that break other machines on the net
which are strictly conformant to RFC-952.

What is the first maxim of protocol design?

"Be generous in what you accept, strict in what you generate".

It would be a mistake to commit this.  Please see Mark Andrews fine
postings (as well as my own postings) on this topic.

-- Terry