Date:      Thu, 4 Nov 1999 14:13:23 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp (Kazutaka YOKOTA)
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vga driver and signal

It seems Kazutaka YOKOTA wrote:

> AFAIK, not all video cards generate the vertical retrace interrupt.
> Even worse, some BIOSes have a configuration option which instract the
> BIOS NOT to assign an IRQ to the PCI video card.
>
> I fully agree that the vertical retrace interrupt will be of great
> value, but I wonder if it is really worth the trouble, because it might
> be available in only few cards and systems at the end of the day...
>
> Well, I may be wrong :-)

Well, sortof :)

The delay caused by the system to process the interrupt and deliver
the signal etc is unpredictable (well sortof) and is almost certainly
too long so the window of opportunity will be missed ...

This has been discussed to death many times in the past for the
mouse pointer updates etc etc...

-Soren