Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2000 00:21:56 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        noslenj@swbell.net (Jay Nelson)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Merger, and what will its effects be on committers?

> On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, Terry Lambert wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >> Given Greg's error rate, it is a safe bet that it did.
> >
> >Yes, yes, I saw it when I got home.
>
> So, Terry, are there any rumblings inside IBM about this?

I won't speak for IBM, but I can speak about the concerns
that have been voiced to me.

There's some concern about getting the legal stuff out of the
way with regard to how the BSDI code will be licensed in the
FreeBSD code.

There's also a little concern about how fast a bunch of
commercially supported core-team/committers might be able
to push the code in different directions, compared to an
unsupported effort.

To get a taste of this, you should consider the situation that
occurred when Matt Dillon sold Best Internet off, and was able
o spend 8 hours a day hacking new code, and how a volunteer
core was not able to keep up with reviewing it at the rate he
was able to produce it.  They throttled it back by removing,
and then conditionalizing, his commit priviledges, something
that wouldn't really work with several core members backing a
commit.

Finally, there's some concern about proprietary drivers not
being available for the free version, and displacing freely
available drivers in the free version, leaving no free
alternatives.

I'm sure that most of these issues will be ironed out when the
dust settles, and given that Jordan talked about many of these
and made the appropriate right noises at the right places last
night at th BAFUG meeting (here at Whistle/IBM), I think that
we are all prepared to take a wait-and-see position.

I haven't spoken to the lawyers, but if no one tells them until
after the dust settles and the air is clear again, they won't
be able to get their panties in a bunch over it.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.