Date:      Mon, 04 Jan 1999 16:53:37 +0100
From:      Stefano Riva <sriva@alice.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCO Unix vrs. FreeBSD

At 09.25 04/01/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello, I want to know why a License for SCO Unix cost that much and FreeBSD
>is FREE?

  IMO, first of all because SCO was available for Intel platforms when
serious free unixes weren't. Lots of companies installed SCO and now it
wouldn't be simple to switch platform... so many companies keep on giving
money to SCO to update their systems. For new users... there's a lot of
misinformation. ;-)
  We use almost everywhere FreeBSD, but we have a SCO machine to run an old
software made specifically for SCO. I'll try to port that software to
FreeBSD as soon as I'll have time.

>It is better? More things to do with?

  I work everyday with FreeBSD, SCO and Solaris. FreeBSD is better, from my
point of view.
  First of all, System V unixes are a mess regarding configuration and
management with respect to BSDs. SCO and Solaris are reliable, but no more
than FreeBSD... and FreeBSD is faster.

>We are a ISP that uses FreeBSD in our servers, but other ISP tell people
>that we use free downloaded software form the Internet, and since that how
>can we provide security or stability. I know FreeBSD is good, very good I
>like it a lot. They also say 'why you don't buy a "real" Unix software, like
>those you pay for?'.

  There's a lot of misinformation, I said...

---

  Stefano Riva
  Software Engineer - Systems Administrator
  Informazioni Editoriali I.E. Srl
  Phone +39-027528400, Fax +39-027528451
  Email sriva@alice.it