Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 18:05:17 +0100
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@freebsd.org>
To:        Lauri Laupmaa <mauri@inspiral.net>
Cc:        database@freebsd.org, databases@freebsd.org, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mysql (smp) performance

I found another interesting link for FreeBSD && mysql:

http://www.bitmechanic.com/mail-archives/mysql/Nov1997/0425.html

> I've just got a brand new 200Mhz Pentium machine with two 4 gig SCSI
> disks for me to use.  Its only purpose in life is to be a mysql
> server.  I want this baby to scream.  I'm planning on ccd-ing the two
> disks together to get the benefits of having two spindles.  What else
> should I do?  Does anyone have experience and advice with opening up
> the server configuration options, like buffers and open files, etc?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nat
You want to rebuild a kernel with the following options
maxusers 256
options		CHILD_MAX=512
options		OPEN_MAX=256
# this is with 256 MB RAM adjust these figures based on
# how much RAM you have
options		"MAXDSIZE=(256*1024*1024)"
options		"DFLDSIZE=(128*1024*1024)"
# set this otherwise the kernel only recognizes the first 64 MB
options		MAXMEM=262144		# 256 MB
options		NMBCLUSTERS=4096
options		COPTFLAGS="-O2 -fexpensive-optimizations -m486
-fomit-frame-pointer"

Note: concerning COPTFLAGS, be careful ... -pipe -O is know to produce
the "correctest" code.... First I'd try the other options.
Be careful with the settings, if you don't have enough RAM ...

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm - Powered by FreeBSD 4.2 SMP
Need a magic printfilter today ? -> http://www.apsfilter.org/