Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 1996 15:17:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@widomaker.com>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backup hardware recommendations?

On Tue, 3 Sep 1996, Gary Palmer wrote:

> Branson Matheson wrote in message ID
> <Pine.BSF.3.91.960903144745.26584A-100000@garion.hq.ferg.com>:
> >  I personally have used both the 8mm and the 4mm. I feel that the 4mm
> >  is a good solution as it is now the one that most are using. Media is
> >  moderately priced and it seems very stable.  8mm works great and I
> >  have used it for many years with out any problem.  The media is
> >  cheaper than 4mm..  but you cannot store as much on a single tape.
>
> Huh? 8mm can go to 9Gb (uncompressed) from memory (EXB-8505). To my
> knowledge DAT is only 2 or 4Gb (again, uncompressed)

 8mm : 9gb compressed. 5 gb uncompressed. but you're right... a 4mm only
stores 2 gb... uncompressed. I stand corrected... however.. given the
amount of trouble that I have had with 8mm and have not had with 4mm I
will still stand by it.

> >  DAT is bleeding edge..  and although seems to be stable..  I try to
>    DLT?

 WHo boy.. again.. yes DLT.. ( this has been a very rough day for me.
Sorry for the screwups )

> Gary
> --
> Gary Palmer                                          FreeBSD Core Team Member
> FreeBSD: Turning PC's into workstations. See http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/ for info

 Branson Matheson       | Ferguson Enterprises  | If Pete and Repeat were
 System Administrator   | W: (804) 874-7795     | sittin on a fence and Pete
 Unix, Perl, WWW        | branson@widomaker.com | fell off, who is left?