Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 2001 18:08:42 -0500
From:      "Christian Kuhtz" <ck@gnu.org>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: bellsouth dsl?

> That's BS. I have PacBell DSL and I could have set the thing up
> myself on my MAC.
> I have a Alcatel SpeedTouch. The only thing that I couldn't do was
> the actuall
> line splitting on the box outside (mainly because it was in a
> locked box!). I
> think they just want to dip into your wallet.

WAIT A SECOND.  Are you also aware of the fact that the phone company would
love nothing more than *NOT* to have to send out a tech?  (huuuuuuge part of
DSL deployment cost).  This is very much dependant on the modem type, and it
isn't the phone company's best interest to send a tech out.  TRUST ME. ;-)
Truck rolls cost mucho dinero.

> Personally, I think they know the USB modems are slower than the
> ethernet ones and
> can't give them away, so they're charging you for the good ones to
> discourage
> people form using them. I mean, come on, USB is what, 1.2MB/Sec?

Nonsense.  USB is 12Mbps or 1.5MBps.

http://www.usb.org/faq/ans2.html#q1

> That's a slow
> down when PacBell tells me that I can get 384K-1.5MB/sec downstream.

They probably are telling you that you can get 384Kbps to 1.5Mbps downstream.
Megabits, not megabytes.

> So yeah, I think they're trying to screw you on that one.

You think, huh?  I find this rather amusing ;-)

> I really really REALLY don't like the phone company...if you didn't notice.

No comment.  But it would help if you get your facts straight first, and
perhaps things look just a little different.

Thanks,
Chris

--
Christian Kuhtz <ck@arch.bellsouth.net> -wk, <ck@gnu.org> -hm
Sr. Architect, Engineering & Architecture, BellSouth.net, Atlanta, GA, U.S.