Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 1996 15:19:52 -0400
From:      sahmad@interlog.com (Shazad Ahmad)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Printer and PPP questions

Whenever I do an lpr <filename> as root or non root user I get the following
error message:

lpr: connect: no such file or directory
jobs have been queued but daemon cannot be started

The lprtest command does work, however. Also, the jobs are being queued and
the printer is on and connected to the PC at all times during my testing.
I have read and following the instructions in the handbook.ascii file in
/usr/share/doc/handbook directory of my FreeBSD 4.3 installation.

My printer is a Canon BJ4100 Colour Inkjet printer attached to LPT1: There
are no other LPT ports in the computer.

Another issue is regarding PPP. I've configured it using the handbook.ascii
file and it seems to turn on but I am not clear how I can get the user
version of PPP (iij PPP) to dial my service provider. PPP doesnt seem to
dial anyone when I type
PPP -auto uunet

And Yes, my modem is connected and turned on at all times. It also works
when I dial my ISP through Win95.

Can you shed any light on this please?

Thanks.

Shazad