Date:      Sun, 7 Mar 2004 02:14:11 +1030
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        Wayne Sierke <ws+freebsd-questions@au.dyndns.ws>, Rishi Chopra <rchopra@cal.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh disconnecting [WAS: Getting Cut-Off]

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 19:26, Wayne Sierke wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 16:45, Rishi Chopra wrote:
> > I have two machines in my loft (a FreeBSD server and a Win2k box)
> > connected via CAT5 crossover cable.
> >
> > I connect to the FreeBSD machine via SSH, and use secure file transfe=
> > to upload/download from the machine.
> >
> > In the last week, the FreeBSD machine has dropped my connection on 3
> > seperate occasions.  I'll queue up some work and leave the machine
> > unattended, only to return at a later time and find that the connecti=
on
> > has been closed.
> >
> > No one else has physical access to the area when this occurs; can any=
one
> > tell me what's going on or what I need to do in order to keep from be=
ing
> > disconnected in the future?
> >
> > Unfortunately the file transfer client portion of SSH Secure Shell is
> > very poor at resuming queued work, so this is starting to cause me an
> > inconvinience.
>
> I've been having a similar problem, afaict since I moved my server to
> 5.2-RELEASE from 4.8-RELEASE and to a EPIA 5000 board (from a Pentium
> system).
>
> I've not had a disconnection while I've been actively using the
> connection but most connections that are left idle get disconnected
> after a while (seems to be around 10 to 15 minutes). This happens
> consistently at the moment from my development system which can be
> running any of 5.2-RELEASE, Windows 98SE or Windows 2000 and has been
> seen to occur on another couple of systems. My suspicions currently lie
> with the on-board network adapter on the EPIA board using the vr driver
> but I have no direct evidence to support it, other than I don't recall
> ever seeing it with my old server.

We have installed 15 EPIA systems and in a few months have had 3 mother=20
boards replaced for problems with the on board vr interface.

A bit of a search reveals a large number of reported problems from most
version of BSD, Linux and even the odd MS user. Some have added a PCI NIC=
=2E
Others swear they have no problems and that their systems are solid.

There seems to be some hint that interference from the power supply gets =
into
and upsets the interface a few months down the track when the ESR of the
power supply capacitors increases.

Malcolm