Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 1997 23:27:43 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      "S. Sigala" <ssigala@globalnet.it>
To:        Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My FreeBSD Wish List...

On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, Brandon Gillespie wrote:
> >   The X11 ports should not be installed in /usr/X11R6 but in the
> >   ports directory /usr/opt, the X Window directories tree should be
> >   never touched by the ports, i.e. should be like /usr/bin or /usr/lib ...
>
> Your arguments sound ok, but you need to give more details as to the
> problems and how RPM handles them better, I think you would be more likely
> to find improvements to the existing pkg system over simply jumping to
> another system entirely.

I have thought a bit more about the RPM idea; you are right, the
differences are not so much large... it is best to extend the existing
code... i will post asap in the next days
a table of differences between the two packaging system (pros and cons).

> I do have one direct question, what does RPM do if it doesn't tarball
> packages?

I'm not an expert but it is composed at least by

[header] [data] [pkg data]

where [header] contains the rpm magic, the cpu on which the package
works, etc.
[data] contains the compilation host, author informations, package
informations,
the source filename, an optional PGP key, a MD5 checksum or
something like,
the informations on dependencies, the install and deinstall scripts,
and a representation of the expanded tree of the package, for faster
access instead of decompressing the whole package.

[pkg data] is simply a gzipped CPIO archive.

-sandro