Date:      Sun, 04 Oct 1998 21:00:38 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@wcarchive.cdrom.com>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, tech@cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: To comemorate ftp.cdrom.com's resurrection

>(moved to -chat)
>
>On Sunday,  4 October 1998 at  4:03:59 -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>> (and these new Mylex RAID arrays look like it was well-worth the downtime)
>> I've rolled and uploaded a new 3.0 BETA snapshot,
>
>How about a snapshot of the new ftp.cdrom.com?

   In fact I did take a couple of digital pictures of the machine before I
left. I'll see about getting one online at www.cdrom.com RSN. Note that this
configuration will be rather short lived; an upgrade to a Xeon/400 is planned
in about a month or so and I'll also be moving the whole machine to a new
co-lo facility at the same time.
   This past week has been quite hellish for me. Everything imaginable that
could go wrong, did. I had more than 10 contigency plans for various possible,
but unlikely problems, and I invoked all of those and a few more that I had
to develop on the spot. It started with my flight being two hours late. Then
I lost my wallet with ID and credit cards in the Taxi as I arrived at the
hotel. I found myself 500 miles from home with no money. no ID, and no place
to stay; not a pleasant experiance. I did eventually recover it, but not until
I had put blocks on the credit cards and sweated for several hours. The
problems with the upgrade ranged the full spectrum - from the RAID controller
being damaged in shipping to the BIOS not being able to boot a 125GB "disk".
At one point I lost _all_ of the files on wcarchive (!!! this is BAD with a
capital "B"), but after spending a full day on the problem, I was able to
recover the screwed-up RAID sets. Suggestion: If you ever get a Mylex RAID
controller, DON'T try to reorganize the distribution of disk drives on the
various SCSI channels after you've already put irreplaceable data on them.
Although the RAID controller is supposed to properly recognize the moving of
drives to different channels/SCSI IDs automatically, the firmware has serious
bugs and will screw you over and scramble your configuration!
   Anyway, I apologize for the extended downtime. In the end, sheer
determination won out and I made it all work. The new hardware is (so far)
working flawlessly and now I get to look forward to the next upgrade. :-)

-DG

David Greenman