Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 03:14:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: core group topics

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > 1) Satoshi's new Makefile.  His makefile has been around plenty long
> > enough for testing, and while several people have reported good results,
> > I've seen no negatives reported at all.  Will it get ignored or committed?
>
> I think it's hung up on the question of what to do with LDDESTDIR -
> all agree that it's broken as currently used now but no one wants to
> bell the cat, either. :-)
>
> > 2) John Polstra's ELF work.  He's done all the work that anyone could
> > possibly want, to move FreeBSD to ELF.  There are several good reasons to
> > move, and none excepting inertia not to.  I know that moving FreeBSD to
>
> Erm, "none excepting inertia and fear of chaos, confusion, shock and
> increased entropy all around." :) Inflicting another ABI on our user
> base, one which will result in a new class of packages which all older
> FreeBSD releases cannot run, is NOT something to be considered
> lightly.

I agree.  How long have we had to discuss it so far?  I think you'll have
to agree, it's been more than long enough.  It feels more like a case of
"if we ignore it long enough, maybe it'll go away."  There are ways to
avoid the confusion, and John's been diligent in getting the thing working
compatibly.  How about we move the discussion from "ignore" stage to an
enumeration of possible transition problems, so that last problems can be
solved?  I don't honestly think they're all that bad, myself.

Suggest what your worst worry is, and either John can handle it, we decide
we can live with it, or it's too much, and (as John just spoke of) we just
let the opportunity go away.  John's work deserves an open review, not
unnamed fears.

> 					Jordan

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |