Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 00:08:18 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        andreas@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, scrappy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: qt versions

On Sun, Aug 09, 1998 at 12:22:28PM -0700, Satoshi Asami wrote:
> Andreas,
>
> What do you want to do with this?

I hoped that somebody, who is more involved in qt *programming*
would make a statement, what to keep and what to wipe out.
But this didn't happen.
So I suggested a sane way of finding out the right solution

a) introduce something like USE_X11 for QT, i.e.:
	USE_QT=yes turns on build dependency on QT 1.40

b) Every port, that uses qt should then be modified to have
	USE_QT=yes in the Makefile

c) - If every port can be build without trouble, then we can nuke
     the old qt libs ! Hurray ! (* This is preferred *)

d) - If some ports can't be compiled or run with qt1.40, we turn
     on the old qt lib build dependency in those ports
     But then we would have to modify the qt ports in a way, that
     they can be installed in parallel.

I hope c) becomes true, this would save some work.

Would you agree on that order ?

--
Andreas Klemm                                http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
     What gives you 90% more speed, for example, in kernel compilation ?