Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 16:06:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      lam <lam@NUXI.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   poke a hole through a wall

Hi Group,

 I posted this question in questions@freebsd.org with no results.  I hope
I can find an annswer here.  This is not a pure security question, but it
might be a security realted issue.  If it's not, I apologize in advance.

Goal: poke a hole throught the firewall. (?)

The original setup:
 An incoming ISDN is going into a 700 Cisco router; connecting an NT
 workstation to my roomate's company (as a dhcp client).  Among normal
 usage (webpage, wp, mail) that NT is also connecting to the company sun
servers with a X client or server (X reflection), for debuging/developing.

The improved setup:
 An 486 with 2 nics, one is connecting with the cisco router as a dhcp
 client, the other nic is connecting with internal systems (the original
 NT, a FreeBSD system, and more in the future).  So far, things seem ok
 with one exception.

The problem:
 The NT X Reflection (X client/server) is not working.  If I connect the
NT directly to the Cisco router, there is no problem.  As soon as I
connect my 486 router, it won't start up the (client?) application.

The tries and errors?:
 1. Adding "use_sockets yes" and "same_ports yes" in /etc/natd.conf
 2. Adding "natd_flags=-dynamic -redirect_ports tcp target_ip:6000-6063
   6000-6063", this is a guess: I looked at /etc/services and those ranges
   seem logical.
 3. in tcpdump, I can't see those ports in demand at all. All I see are
 telnet ports.

   Any sugestions are more than welcome.  Any pointers to the docs,
anything at all.

Thanks for reading.

---Lam Nguyen