Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 17:07:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matt Piechota <piechota@argolis.org>
To:        "Steven G. Kargl" <kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: buffer overflows in rpc.statd?

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Steven G. Kargl wrote:

> Are there any known compromises of rpc.statd that involve
> buffer overflows?  I have several entries in /var/log/messages that
> look suspicious, but I currently don't know what these entries
> mean (see attachment).   The suspicious entries appear to be
> buffers that someone or something has tried to overflow.

I just read a news iten (on www.theregister.co.uk) talking about the Ramen
worm that affects Redhat 6.2 and 7.0.  One of the exploits it uses is to
overrun something in rpc.statd.  The URL to the story is
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/16375.html, which has a link to the
RedHat security advisories.

--
Matt Piechota