Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 10:57:33 -0700
From:      Fred Gilham <gilham@csl.sri.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SMC Tulip card problems

Someone asked if the new DE driver (I assume in the latest 3.0 snaps)
works.  I'm having trouble with it.  I'm using a later-model SMC
tulip-based card on my home machine and it doesn't work very well.

What happens is that after booting it works at first.  But then once
you do a significant amount of networking the interface seems to
freeze.

If I'm using a TCP protocol, such as ftp, doing an

ifconfig de0 -down ; ifconfig de0 -up

will bring it back for a while.  (If I want to do lengthy FTPs I can
do

while ( 1 )
ifconfig de0 -down ; ifconfig de0 -up
sleep 1
end

in another console and things will look like normal.

But UDP seems to go south on me.  I NFS mount a partition from another
machine and once the interface freezes, NFS never seems to recover.

Going back to the 3.0-970507 snap works.  I have that one on CD-ROM.
I know that later snaps work (I think everything in July was OK) but
nothing including and after the 3.0-970812 snap works.  I don't have
anything earlier than that around and they were taken off
releng22.freebsd.org.

-Fred Gilham   gilham@csl.sri.com