Date:      Fri, 05 Oct 2001 03:06:13 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Luuk van Dijk <lvd@mndmttr.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Advice on Tyan dual athlon board wanted

Luuk van Dijk wrote:
> I have the opportunity to buy a Tyan Tiger dual athlon motherboard
> for about 400 euro, and could use some advice.
>
>     - does FreeBSD run on this?  (I've seen messages confirming that
> FreeBSD
> runs on its elder brother, the ThunderK7)
>
>     - are there things to watch out for?

I have seen segfaults when using a huge amount of RAM,
if I do not either disable the PSE bit (4M pages), or
preallocate enough kernel memory to cause the PTD's to
be thrashed out by other PTD's (e.g. set MAXFILES to
120000).  FreeBSD appears to have a situation in which
CR3 is not reloaded, and the board somehow ignores the
INVLTLB with the PG_G bit set.

As I said: you can work around this, though.

Oh, and be sure you are running the most recent BIOS.

-- Terry